Monday 18 June 2012

Uniformity

Morgan - thank you.  I know some stuff is handed down to siblings etc from looking at the hard wear some of the stuff being worn in the playground has had, but the newsletter was very clear - uniform had to be bought from either the official supplier or supermarket school wear aisle (so I cheated on that by using the internet) and be new. 

I am fairly confident that there is no strict policing of this, and I was thinking of some of the smaller boys in little bear's class, or a local charity shop that would be able to sell locally, or just trying to see if anything is going on in the office.  I am hoping that the letter was badly worded or that I misunderstood (always a possibility) and that there will be a chance for a 'nearly new' swap of uniform at the end of the year. 

And I suppose a head teacher will look at £7 for two pairs of trousers (value range) in M&S and think about how much spending she has and not think that it is a lot of money.  In an absolute sense it is not a lot of money.  However it is a lot to someone on benefits, someone on a reduced income, or someone not entitled to benefits due to higher rates of pay but being absolutely hammered by rising prices, large mortgages and the rising cost of the utilities.  Being able to pick up a pair of trousers without much wear for half the price could make a big difference, like the cost of a loaf of bread.  I wouldn't think of handing on items that were worn or stained, but while little bear's trousers have definitely lost their crease, they are still in reasonable condition, no holes or threads or stains.  A lot of his sweaters, while not unworn, are in good condition.  And I have polo shirts and long sleeved shirts that have hardly been worn. 

And thank you for the hug about the organisation.  All the clothes are either 5/6, 6 or for the vests, 6/7.  Little bear will be six in December.  The clothes should do until Christmas, I hope, and perhaps longer.  I feel remarkably proud of myself.

(then I look round nervously to see if hubris is about to hit me)

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

Hipe you're OK Syb, been a while since you last posted. Hx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Hazel - doing fine - thank you for such a lovely hug! WS xxx