Tuesday 31 March 2009

Evil cat's gentleman caller

It was relatively fine weather so ten minutes before dear heart was due home I popped out with little bear for a gossip with the neighbours and for him to have a play. I left the front door slightly ajar.

Well, little bear had a marvellous time, hurtling round, playing with other little ones. Then one of the daughters next door asked whether it was evil cat in the window. I looked, looked again, and no, it wasn't. Instead it was a very handsome completely black tom cat. He was there, posing in the window as if it was his habitual viewing point. Cats - they can own a place in seconds.

Evil cat was fortunately asleep upstairs, as she has never taken kindly to strange cats, so I got the handsome visitor out as quick as I could. His name is Oscar, who used to live next door when their grown daughter had to move in with them in a hurry. Their daughter then moved less than half a mile away, but across an extremely busy road. Oscar likes, however, to pop in to his old haunts now and again, regardless of speeding lorries. I do not think he has been 'done' as he has an extremely square head and a sort of devilish swagger. I suspect there are a number of lady cats locally who are receptive to his attentions.

I am not sure that evil cat fits in to that category. She was, of course, 'done' which was when we found out that the relentless bundle of evil energy was female and not male. We had all assumed the violence meant male which was incredibly naive of us. And she is nearly fifteen now, which in cat years would put her in the frame for a telegram from the Queen.

However I shall expect to see him again - especially if he works out where the cat food is left.

No comments: