Friday 27 March 2009

Mountaineering little bear

Little bear showed all the signs of wanting a nap a few days ago, so upstairs he went, brushed his teeth (he has to brush his teeth every time he goes upstairs, he has decided it's the law) and I changed him and left him being quiet...

Crash! I shot upstairs at a far greater speed than I can normally manage. Little bear was crawling out from underneath the solid chest of drawers (not really heavy, but not exactly from Argos) and he was CROSS! How dare the chest of drawers not be climbed.

I was absolutely terrified, checking his head, his hands, his legs - I found a graze on one knuckle. He did need a lot of cuddles and I was happy to give them, but really!

A few days later he was looking sleepy so up again to nap. I heard the usual crashes and whirrs of little bear playing with cars. Then blissful silence as he napped. I am still not exactly sure which of the crashes was when the curtain pole was pulled down, but I only found it when I went upstairs, draped with curtains and across the floor. Then it was count the screws time to make sure little bear wouldn't be going back to A&E. Doesn't a room sound different when there are no curtains? We are getting swish track to replace the pole so that if little bear repeats the trick it is less likely to do damage if it hits him.

And today, I laugh now, but I was terrified at the time. Little bear woke up from his nap. I went upstairs, said hello, went to the loo...

While I was in the loo I heard a bang and a very unhappy wail. I will leave to your imagination the struggle to get decent quickly enough and into little bear's room. You see, last summer my darling uncle won a four foot teddy in a pub and kindly donated it to little bear. Little bear loves his furry climbing frame. It was sitting on the end of his bed after playing 'Bear's bits' - we ask little bear to show us, for example, the teddy's eyes. He does so, then his own eyes, then he gets a clap. The only bit he has trouble with is shoulders. I digress. Little bear had been happy when I had seen him and, I think, gone to do a bouncy dance on the end of the bed, slipped, grabbed the massive teddy as he fell...

I shot in to find him crawling out from under this massive toy that is probably almost as heavy as him and much bigger, and he was once again cross but this time he was actually upset as well. I did the frantic check of fingers, eyes, head and he seems fine. But this time he did need a lot of mum cuddles. It took him at least 10 minutes to calm down, but he was soon his happy self playing with his blocks.

The big teddy is currently face down on the floor - I don't want little bear to get frightened of it. But now it is a question of what to do - little bear has only just had free access to it and I don't want him getting squashed!

Whatever I decide about the huge teddy, I know that there are other dangers out there but I don't know what. I find myself scanning rooms now, wondering what he can do to what. Or what can do what to him. If you see what I mean.

No comments: