Sunday 8 March 2009

Little bear goes to the bank

As you know, I have trouble getting out of the house with little bear, but last Friday a cheque came for me in the post and I used that as an excuse to just jump on the bus, into town and pay it in. I know I could have gone in the next day on my own, without stress, but it was a great excuse.

Well, of course little bear was quiet and well behaved on the way in. He had been lacking a bit of sleep so was looking quieter and quieter. In one shop one of the assistants asked whether he was alright!!! I immediately felt an appalling mother who had no consideration for her child but dragged him out regardless. Little bear just looked at the lady, completely impassively, perhaps hoping for a lollipop.

In the bank he was as good as gold, he was not stressing for anyone, not even when the nice lady spent so long trying to sell me insurance.

Well on the way home I thought I would perk him up with a little packet of raisins. Little bear approves of raisins. However he had his teddy in a death grip in one hand, and try as I might, I could not convince him to release it. He was not parting with that teddy, not even for mummy to hold while he ate his raisins. He would not relinquish the raisins either - they were his, thank you so much, and he was greatly looking forward to them. He didn't cry, he didn't shout, he just remained calmly adamant.

I tried feeding him two or three raisins to try and get him started, but no, he was grateful for the raisins, but he was not letting go of his teddy in this unfamiliar world and he was certainly not letting go of those raisins.

In the end he manoeuvred his hands so he could clutch both teddy and the raisins in one hand and scoff with the other. Determination paid off in the end.

No comments: