Monday 7 October 2013

An interesting Saturday

DH's sister had been very, very very keen to have bear stay overnight.  So we booked a coach trip away to the Lakes.  DH has never been to the Lake District and there was a coach tour of Windermere plus one night dinner bed and breakfast for £59 each.  DH really needs a break, the stress at work is really bad and I suspect it is affecting his health.  However the coach trip was cancelled due to lack of interest.  We were upset and then booked a hotel in York, paying for it the day before father admitted he had a stroke.  So that was cancelled.

Father was really certain that we needed a day out, so we did go out for the day.  We had a marvellous time, I could fit half a dozen blog entries here about it. Best of all DH came home rested and relaxed and had a full night's sleep.  

One thing I am proud of - we found a shop closing down selling off yarn and books.  I didn't get any yarn as not only were the prices not that good but I have so many projects on the go already that I couldn't have bought anything with a straight face.  I did get a set of books for bear that have been stashed for Christmas.  I am quite proud of that.

We had a pub lunch in a pub where ladies of dubious reputation used to entertain the navvies that built the Leeds Liverpool canal, where the food was great and the juke box was the most eclectic I had ever heard.  

We went to a falconry centre and DH got thwacked by a vulture.  It was just in passing, so he is fine, but it is quite something to be thwacked by a vulture.  There was also a raven consistently and insolently stealing the food that the handler was throwing to the vulture to get her to perform.  Apparently at one point there was also a cat that used to hang out of a window to try and get at the birds.  I wouldn't have believed this if I hadn't known that all of our cats would have seen a vulture as a fair target.

We then had an meal at an Indian Restaurant on the way home, after which we couldn't move.  There was a dessert on there, if I find it I will share as it was gorgeous and about two teaspoons would fill you.

We will be doing the same again soon, except taking our own food.  The food out was the big expense.  The beneficial effect on DH was without price.  Also, father was fine, even though I spent a lot of time worrying.  I suspect the peace and quiet did him no harm at all!


No comments: