Friday 31 October 2008

An approaching bonfire?

The little street I live in is quite a backwater, unmade, in atrocious condition and generally ignored by the council. Thus the family next door have had a sizeable scrapyard in the street and only recently have been reported to health and safety.

A few weeks ago, at the end of September, I pointed out to the gentleman next door that I could see a problem. The laurels opposite had been hacked back and the trimmings piled on top of a hedge that the people at the back's predecessors had uprooted over a year ago. Their was, shamefully, some trimmings from my buddlia (however it is spelled) and also a lot of branches and wood recently dumped by person or persons unknown. If I had reported it I would have got the gentleman next door into even more trouble, so I just sighed. Next to all this nicely drying wood are the remains of the winnebago and a large pile of tyres, along with sundry cars and caravans in assorted stages of dilapidation. Also, we are on the corner nearest this pile so it includes dear heart's pride and joy, just about four year old car which we managed to get last year. There are also a lot of youngsters with too much time and too little sense around, and Bonfire night is approaching. I had concerns that the youngsters would find it great fun to torch a very large and dry pile of wood next to a lot of tyres and some elderly cars - and ours!

I explained that I was concerned, but I could not leave little bear to supervise a controlled bonfire, and I certainly was not bringing him out to help! The gentleman next door reassured me that he would see to it. I did offer the use of our rusty incinerator but he reassured me that 'his mate' was bringing him a large metal drum, specifically for this purpose.

The pile of wood is still there, but drier. The pile of tyres and the pieces of car are still there. I am now becoming apprehensive. It is such a tempting target!

If the worst happens at least I will have a good view as a fire engine proves or disproves health and safety's assertion that the road is too cluttered.

1 comment:

Hard up Hester said...

I hope the stuff is moved before too long Sybil