Tuesday 28 October 2008

Location, location, location

Continuing the introductions, the home I live in is in an area that was once relatively respectable before a local buy-to-let landlord started buying up the local houses and renting them out to, well, anyone who wasn't likely to complain about absence of kitchen lights or holes in roof. Not many Accountants fall into that category.

It sounds like the neighbours whose back wall is our back wall have just taken a large delivery of rubble down their stairs. Little bear's room has soundproofing and I leave him with Classic FM on really quietly every night.

The neighbours to the side are lovely, but their landlord hasn't mended the hole in their roof... If I can see damp from it in our house, I do think it worrying for them!

About two months ago, perhaps less, the local pharmacy moved, kept the old shop but instead of having medicine it had groceries. As it was the only clean shop within miles that sold eggs I was extremely pleased. Then the newsagents started stocking groceries as well...

The trade war is at an early stage, with the former pharmacy now having an 'off licence' so instead of antidepressants one can get vodka. The newsagents do have a very established and loyal customer base, however, and are also running Avon. I am friendly with the people in both shops and find myself, if I call in one shop and buy some groceries, smuggling past the staff in the other shop!

No comments: