Tuesday 30 March 2010

I love cook books

I have just skim read 'The Cookbook that Changed the World'. Hmm.

It is about the division between modern and medieval cookery, and the premise of the book is that the medieval cookery was too closely linked with subversive occult and esoteric theories for the authorities of the emerging Early Modern States, so they sponsored an alternate type of cookery. Hmm.

I am not entirely sure, although it makes a very good argument. It traces the development from medieval cookery with lots of saffron and spices to what it referred to as the Salt/acid taste of modern cookery with sugar relegated to the dessert.

On the other hand, if you come across a copy of 'I hate to cook book' by Peg Bracken at a reasonable price then grab it with both hands, elbowing little old ladies out of the way if necessary. The recipes are not the best bit, but the observations within the recipes. She points out that ideas for left over cake are silly, as left over cake is like left over whiskey and if they didn't like it the first time they are not going to be impressed second time around. She also makes a very vital observation that vitamins need to be covered up by calories, a very sage observation in the sixties when this was written. She has also written 'I hate to housekeep' which is equally witty. I believe 'I hate to cook book' is due to be republished, and I cannot wait!

No comments: