Monday 30 July 2012

Do I need a new kettle?

Actually, yes, I really need a new kettle.  Although it could be described as a want rather than a need, the kettle is not going to be used again.

Yesterday as I was managing to help OH with dinner, he boiled a kettle.  We have this five minute rice from Approved Food which goes into the microwave with boiling water.  It was a scratched together meal, with the flavoured rice, veggie quarter pounders and baked beans - nutritionally not too bad.  OH poured the boiled water into the measuring jug then looked to see what was causing the black specks in the water. 

'You're not going to believe what is in here.' he said, and he was right - until he tipped out the boiled slug onto the nearby baking tray I didn't believe a slug could have crawled into the kettle and hid there. 

For about a minute I couldn't take my eyes off the boiled slug.  I knew we had a slug in the kitchen, and had thought that it was hiding under the sink as they usually do.  We often get slugs, and if we go down at night we pick them up and throw them into the garden.  I don't like them in my kitchen under my sink, but I can cope with it.  I am not sure I am up to a slug in a kettle.

So, madly and extravagantly, I am getting rid of the kettle.  I know that actually quite a small amount of cleaning will make it fit for purpose.  I know that actually just a bit of rinsing and some suitable cleaning fluid and it will be fine.  It is even one of those with the solid bottom and not a coil so it is really, really, really easy to clean.  I am still not using it again.

The only comfort I have is that the slug was only boiled the once.  Otherwise there would have been more sludge.  No recent cups of tea have tasted of slug.  Not that I know what slug tastes like, I hasten to add.

Ewwwwwww!!!!!

The next kettle will have one of those limescale filters in - to keep out the slugs!

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

Thanks for making me smile on a Monday morning Sybil :-)
Hazel

Wannabe Sybil said...

Hazel - I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or go 'ewwwww!' for an hour. I laughed! hope you are well. WS xxx