Monday 9 July 2012

Holidays looming

Morgan - little bear hasn't worked out about being scared of stuff.  He tells me he is scared of stuff like heights, or the dark, but I suspect that it is because he has heard that on television or in school.  He does have a fear of evil cat, but that is reasonable. 

So scared of clowns, scared of being in front of people, scared of doing the wrong thing - not yet happened to little bear.  Long may that continue.

As for the holidays, I feel them hanging over me.  Part of the problem is the little boys two doors down.  I just wrote a huge amount about the dreadful things they have done, then deleted it.  It would not be fair, they are only children.  They play out without supervision and have done so since they were two years old.  They have a very chaotic homelife where the parents are doing their best, but are not able to do as much as someone else in a less difficult place.  So of course they do dangerous, stupid and destructive things.  I often genuinely fear for their safety, and I am not the only one.  It is not really their fault.  However it is hard to feel comfortable with little bear playing with them, and I don't think I would survive if he had no summer except playing with them.  Regrettable experience has made me very wary.

So, little bear is looked at a packed programme.  Between us squeezing the pennies and darling father being generous, we are looking at the School Holiday Club one or two times per week.  They are lovely there, and little bear is happy.  Then there is martial arts summer camp, which is going to be so much fun for me getting them to the middle of nowhere and back twice per day but little bear will enjoy it.  There are hopefully a few piano lessons sprinkled into the mix.  Little bear may be able to see his girlfriend once or twice.  And there will always be softplay to fall back on.

Darling father has also laid plans about teaching little bear joined up writing, basic sums and reading to him.  I have started to stockpile books, puzzles and craft stuff.  I have things that include decorating a pencil case with fabric crayons, sticky paper mosaics and models.  

Added to which I plan to drag little bear round the museums of Leeds (and possibly a trip to York as well).  There are bound to be things to do and lots of fun things to see - and little bear will see them whether he likes it or not!    

The summer is going to be full!

No comments: