Saturday 21 July 2012

Step away from the catalogue..

The catalogue from the Book People (on quidco and online, btw) came today.  I made the mistake of opening it.

It's not that we don't like books in this house.  We have thousands - no exaggeration - and we are suckers for new ones.  And the Book People have interesting books at very inexpensive prices.  They have some marvellous ones that would be just right for little bear as well. 

Little bear has several hundred books in his own right. 

Little bear bounced in as I was discussing this with OH, and I explained that there was no room for new books in his room.  This is a massive understatement, you should see the heaps of books all around and under his bed.  You should also hear him reading them to himself at night.  The books are definitely not wasted.  However some of them are now very young for him.  So we suggested that we sort out the ones that he didn't read any more and 'put them under Daddy's bed' (little bear may be working out that things 'put under Daddy's bed' disappear sooner or later).  As it is, little bear is fighting a passionat battle not to lose a single page.  I may have to stealth sort.  And as little bear's memory is excellent then I hope I am not caught out when he asks for a book that has been vanished. 

I refused to deal with the books today.  Little bear was extremely cross about this and has gone upstairs to 'sort them out'.  Over the intercom I can hear a wailing and a gnashing of teeth and a complaint that there isn't enough room.  In the living room OH is trying to get the internet to go through the tv and is wrestling with the right combination of cables and settings.  I am hiding here.

I can see around thirty new books for little bear on the horizon.  I know that he would really enjoy them - and they are ones he would read again and again for at least another twelve months and they are extremely inexpensive.  I just have no idea where we will put them. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. Books, books and more books - sounds like my house: I actually go out and buy more bookshelves and furniture to house the books! Hope Little Bear enjoys his new books ... :0)

Wannabe Sybil said...

Hi Shirley - I hope you enjoy the blog. And yes, books are brilliant and somehow manage to increase no matter what we do. At some point in the near future we will be going out to buy another bookcase for OH's room and see if little bear can choose his very own first bookcase for his room. Thank you for commenting - and if you are baffled by anything I've written, please ask. WS xxx