Friday 6 July 2012

Even in Heaven

Little bear is getting very morbid.  He keeps asking about dead relatives, speculating about who will die next and I have just consoled him and reassured a distraught and tearful little bear that his favourite toy rat will be in Heaven with him. 

Please can this phase go soon.  Trying to be comforting and deflecting while remaining theologically more or less okay is being a bit of a strain.  I am also a bit baffled by where it came from.

Then there is the awful thought that evil cat is already outliving the estimate from the vet (with gusto - I was pushed off the bed last night) and sooner or later we are going to have to face a feline funeral.

I am working on topics to distract him. 

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

They all go through the obsessive about mortality phase as all five of mine have and they all did it about the same age as LB.So it has to be a developmental thingy.It does pass but I dont do the whole Heaven and Hell thing I just prefer to get them to accept death as final and that they will always love the dead person and miss them.

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lesley - thank you, and thinking about it, I think I went through this as well. I haven't mentioned Hell yet, I'll leave that one well alone! He has far too good an imagination! WS xxx