Monday 3 June 2013

May!



The Hawthorn tree half way down the street is in full bloom, absolutely covered in blossom.  I haven't got a camera that would do it justice.  If all these blossoms set to haws then the whole tree will be bowed down.  It is usually stuffed with sparrows and I suspect that they will do very well.

I have a recipe somewhere for a hawthorn liqueur where you stuff a jar full of hawthorn blossoms and then top up with lots and lots of brandy and some sugar.  I forget where I saw it, somewhere like Mrs Beeton.  It is in the same category as infusing gin with the young leaves of a beech tree.  I hadn't really thought about it much but the scent of the hawthorn is so heavy and hanging on the air and drifting into our windows that I am almost tempted.  It smells like Ameretto every time I go past.  However I shall leave well alone.  Enough alcohol comes into this house anyway and I am enjoying seeing the blossoms too much to pick them.


Much nicer than the wild garlic!

No comments: