Thursday 6 June 2013

Wean - I'm sorry but my mouse jumped and I deleted instead of publishing your post.

You said that it is a lot of money to pay, and I agree.  I would struggle to get the quality but I could certainly get the stuff cheaper.  The thing with the veg box is that I am getting pushed to use fresh fruit and veg that I normally wouldn't try and in larger quantities.  Next week I will probably get a lot less but I am re-stocking after running down after the holiday.  If I didn't get the veg box we wouldn't have much variety between frozen peas and carrots.  I would probably get a few bits of apples and satsumas but I would usually never bother with grapefruit (breakfast for me tomorrow!).

For organic veg boxes delivered the price is okay, and I know a lot of it is local.  The lettuce and pak choi were picked this morning.  Organic doesn't mean better nutrition but it is less likely to have pesticides affecting it and it is better for the farms.

Darling father has the garden.  I can't grow veggies there, though we had a lot of fun when I did grow tomatoes.  I suppose now that evil cat isn't around I could try a few bits on window sills although DH and DF are both opposed to that.

I will be honest, I am still weighing up about the cost.  However I am enjoying the variety at the moment.  I do know that the two absolutely huge cucumbers are a lot nicer than the ones I can get in the local shops, twice the size, grown within twenty miles and will vanish by the end of the weekend as bear loves cucumber and I am happy to let him stuff his face with it.  I think every week I will be assessing whether we can afford it and whether we will eat it all.  I shall keep posting and let you know.

No comments: