Thursday 5 November 2009

And what I say is...

I have just taken a delivery from Mr S. I stood there in the cold air coughing, while the driver very kindly dragged all my stuff in. I carefully washed my hands before signing anything.

He told me that we had lost our culture, that it was all wrong and we should all go to church.

I nodded and coughed.

My personal view is that if you don't believe in God, don't go to church, don't have a church wedding and don't have a Christening. I do believe in God, I am very grateful for the good He has brought into my life. If you want to have a fun time at Christmas then you are following in a great pagan tradition which is an amazing party to help brighten up the darkest time of the year. I do not have any quarrel with that. Just don't send a Christmas card with a manger on it.

As for culture, I don't know how I would define being British (apart from 'not French') but for me the biggest threat is from American TV. Take Halloween - when I was a child it was an excuse for a project in school but the big fun was penny for the guy and bonfires with goodies. This is Bonfire Night that may have originated in the Samhain fires but we are having the American version of Halloween, and it isn't right! (yes, I am a hypocrite on that, I would have let little bear go trick or treating with sister in law, but it still would have been better for penny for the guy, which I haven't seen for some time!)

The man seemed a nice man, and was pleasant enough, as I stood and coughed, but there just seems to be too much sloppy thinking. And of course I didn't get into an argument with him - that wouldn't be the British thing to do at all.

No comments: