Sunday 8 November 2009

Spend spend spend

I have just spent a FORTUNE on books for little bear. Ebay is a very fickle friend sometimes. I have bought him five sets of books - two lots of ladybird fairy tale sets which include the enormous turnip which I adored as a child, a set of Dr Seuss including the cat in the hat, a set of Dr Seuss lift up flap books, and a huge set of ladybird phonics books.

And you know, I think they are the ideal present for him. He loves reading. At the moment 'bear hunt' is his favourite, but he loves dipping into books. Reading a story to him is at the moment impossible (cough!) but one of my favourite ways of sneaking a cuddle.

As soon as I can move without coughing, and little bear is in nursery, I plan to visit Headingley. Some may talk of the rugby there, some may speak of the cricket. For me Headingley is the place with the biggest concentration of charity shops I have ever seen! If you get off the bus by the church (can't remember which one) then you start with Mind, then a local hospice, then Oxfam bookshop and Save the Children, then I think it's Age Concern - it's been a while since I have been there, so I can't remember exactly the charity shops that share the arcade with the British Heart Foundation. I am fairly confident that one of them is Cancer Research.

Once I have reached charity shop heaven I shall be scouring the children's books. So many children get given books and the books are never even opened. Besides, the words are in the same order, so why fret if the book is in a reasonable condition. I plan to stock up!

I should add that little bear has his birthday four days after Christmas, and the books are split between the two celebrations. His other big presents are a huge 258 piece pen and crayon set (I shall be standing on the bits for ever) and a garage with cars - the cars were included in the rather steep price of the garage. We are considering which to give him for which celebration. I am currently favouring the garage for Christmas. I have also purchased a small set of dressing up hats.

I really don't want to get much more for him. I know he will have a lot of presents from various uncles, aunts and family members. I have the uneasy feeling that the house will go pop if too much is bought for him. Part of me thinks that I have already gone overboard with the presents, but from what I can tell, each one will be really appreciated and enjoyed.

Also darling father will be staying for Christmas, which is an added bonus! Because darling father will of course read to little bear. And little bear will 'read' to darling father. I am really looking forward to Christmas.

(Memo to self - need to sort out proper bookcase for little bear)

No comments: