Thursday 26 November 2009

Knitting and know how

I have a knitting pattern that promises a sweater knitted in one piece. As I loathe making up, I thought I would dig it out and look at it again. Hmm.

Well, you start knitting at the left cuff and finish at the right cuff, and you leave a hole for the head in the appropriate place and pick up the stitches and knit the neckband as you would any other sweater. And it is in chunky, so quite a quick and easy knit.

Of course, I can always find fault. One fault is that it is only 23 inches long. I prefer at least 27 and if you are knitting side to side then I am not sure about increasing the length. But that is possible. The real sticking point for me is that I would need to knit the rib at the bottom separately and sew it on. My knitting skills are okay, but I cannot see any way that I would not make a complete mess of the sewing. I suppose I could pick up the stitches, but picking up is not my favourite form of sport.

I think, however, I will look into getting a pattern in for a sweater to knit over Christmas as a sanity saver. Darling father is visiting over Christmas and New Year which will be wonderful but a little more hectic than normal.

2 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

I remember my MIL knitting a jumper for FIL that was like this, she found it extremely heavy to work with & you also need incredibly long needles.
Hester

Wannabe Sybil said...

I am confident that you are right. It's just the siren song of a sweater that doesn't really need sewing up...

I am going to knit myself something over Christmas. I owe it to myself to save my sanity for as long as possible! WS x