Wednesday 2 December 2009

Poor little bear and evil cat

Yesterday little bear was watching Adventures in Letterland AGAIN and I was feeling poorly in the next room, listening out for him. I could hear him being happy about something and I could hear evil cat being foul mouthed but I was confident that evil cat was downstairs in the kitchen and that there was a shut stair gate between them.

Today I have found that little bear can open that stairgate and that evil cat can also get through the bars if she is determined enough (she is only skin, bone and evil).

This explains yesterday. As I was dealing with the stomach problems I heard the 'hiss, spit, wail' of evil cat getting little bear and I rushed in.

Now, before you get too concerned, evil cat had barely broken little bear's skin. You know when you catch yourself and you just get a very tiny fleck of the top layer of skin standing up in little white tufts? That is the war wound. I can't even find it today. This did not prevent little bear putting on an Oscar winning performance.

I had a lot of mixed feelings on this. First of all, I must be a bad mother as this is the third or fourth time he has been scratched in the last two years. I ought to protect him more. Then after interrogation I found that he had been holding evil cats tail so I am definitely a bad mother for raising a child that will not be kind to animals. Thirdly, but quite strongly, I thought, 'he's been scratched before - when is he going to learn that cats hurt when cuddled?' And sneaking in behind was a certain satisfaction that evil cat had been on the receiving end for a change, after regularly dishing out discomfort to me - and a tail end of guilt for that satisfaction.

Little bear had an industrial strength cuddle and evil cat had dolphin friendly tuna. They have both forgotten it.

No comments: