Tuesday 17 February 2009

Little bear at the library

Today we went to the library. It was supposed to be 'rhyme time' with a singalong and the health visitor was taking me. I was so glad as I have just been struggling even to get little bear to the end of the street, so I was so happy he got out.

Well, we trundled along and first of all we found that the leaflet printed had the wrong time printed on it - we were half an hour early! The thought of trying to keep little bear entertained for half an hour before he was supposed to sit still for stories and singing filled me with dread, so we went for a little walk. Actually, he went for a little walk while I was dragged in his wake. Thank goodness for reins!

Now, these sort of things often disappear at half term, so the health visitor had very sensibly rung up and checked. It was definitely on. All the furniture was moved around, two other mums and tots turned up... and no leader.

While we were waiting little bear had a marvellous time hurtling round and giggling. There was another little lad about two months older, and they were chasing each other round and shrieking with glee. I am sure this really cheered up the rest of the library visitors. They were 'standing on their heads' which the other lad copied from little bear (sort of proud of this) which essentially means that little bear bends at the waist and puts his hands and head next to his feet - or even waves his hands wildly around. I think that was when the major nappy leak occurred. I shall have to ensure next time that the vital garment is well fastened.

Also, whoever designed the library had never looked after little children. It is an old library with a modern bit sort of superglued on with points for benefits questions, planning applications, meetings with counsellors and MPs, a 'community hub'. It included a large children's section with children's books' shelving and miniature furniture - right next to the stairs. I lost count of the times I sprinted across the carpet (and I am not built for sprinting) to stop little bear's explorations ending up with bumping down the stairs.

There was no 'official' rhyme time in the end as the leader did not turn up, so we had a bit of a sing anyway. It was lovely. Well, it was lovely for me to sit with little bear (and regularly retrieve little bear) for a bit of a sing and a play. How the other patrons of the library felt about it is another matter.

And then home, for a complete change of clothing! And he had his second ever sausage roll for his lunch, topped off with some grapes from his Dad's supply (don't tell dear heart). And a lovely long nap.

Little bear has still been playing at 10pm, but I do not think I have much opportunity of a lie in - the nappy will be calling once again at 7am.

2 comments:

J's Mummy said...

That sounds like good fun.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you - it was marvellous fun. Normally I would try and restrain little bear more in a library, but at kids 'rhyme time' the patrons knew the risks...

And he had such a lovely long nap after...