Friday 20 February 2009

Little bear's poorly paws

You can tell by the title that I am now calm and I do not think it serious, but I may change my mind if his hands are bad tomorrow. But I will start at the beginning.

We have an old blanket box in little bear's room, which has been decorated in early 1970 yellow and blue. We use it as toy storage - the one's that he is not quite ready for. I have heard crashes which I suspected were the box, so I do blame myself. It explains where the peculiar giraffe-with-short-neck sort of thing came from. Tonight, little bear raised the lid in front of us. I glanced away to put something down, started towards him and the lid fell on his fingers.

Poor little bear, he was absolutely devastated. I was frantic, trying to see if he would let me touch his fingers - but they were clutching intensely at his teddy, who was his comfort. It was a sort of reassurance. His fingers were still working. It was a long bedtime tonight.

So, dear heart and I had to find a way of ensuring it didn't happen again. I have been going frantic about it falling on his head - I shall be in his room at the first murmur tomorrow. So what to do with the blanket box. I want to keep it, it belonged to dear heart's grandmother and is such a useful item to have.

We could move it to the room across the way. The obvious place would be to put it where there is currently a huge pile of bedding. But I can't put the bedding away because the bed is in front of the large and really useful chest of drawers. I could move the bed but I would first have to move a cupboard. I am planning to in any event - it is also a family item, a cupboard converted from the cabinet housing the first tv set owned by my late grandparents, with two unfinished planks as shelves. It summons dust. I shall not miss it. But I shall first have to clear it out and move all the items therein...

We are going to start by turning the blanket box upside down - after we have extracted all the toys and found somewhere to put them...

Poor little bear, I am so worried about him, I shall be watching his hands like a hawk for the next few days. He seemed to have forgotten that his hands had been hurt within a few minutes, but then he is a very brave little bear.

No comments: