Tuesday 10 February 2009

Little bear fights nap (and water can make you wet)

It is a grimly regular happening.

Little bear has a play, then I put him upstairs for a nap - he NEEDS his naps. So he plays in his room, until he goes to sleep. Except he doesn't go to sleep. The world is far too interesting. So I am on tenterhooks, wondering what to do. Today he has been up there now for over two hours - playing happily. I've heard noises that sound like a construction site, ominous crashes, shouts of glee and lots and lots of sounds of a toy train being rolled up and down a chest of drawers. No crying, no distress. I've had to work around official visitors and all sorts, so I have not really been in a position to bring him down earlier.

So, now he is singing quietly to himself. Do I go and get him, as he has been on his own for ages? Do I leave him and hope against hope he will actually nap? With a disrupted day I have no housework done, should I just get on and leave him singing?

What is worrying me even more is that the next month of playgroup is not likely to happen for little bear. I have so much trouble trying to get out of the house that this is a real blow. Still, the health worker is coming round and hopefully will help me get little bear out to meet some other people.

And now, after all that worry, all is quiet! He has, I believe, nodded off while I was typing this!

I love my little bear. Tomorrow morning I shall gird my loins and do finger painting with him, I hope that makes up for it.

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

You're doing really well Sybil.

Tryingmybest said...

When you put him to bed at night put some music on. A nice calm classical cd usually does the trick. He will be tired and eventually fall asleep to the music. After a while they become programmed to fall asleep to the music and it works if you put the music on in the daytime - they just conk out. Put the cd player up high though - you've been warned about screwdrivers :-)