Wednesday 4 February 2009

Little bear has a cold

Little bear has a cold. It is completely not serious, not threatening and not a matter for the doctor. Of course I am fussing myself silly.

He had been a little off colour for a while, then Saturday he was not himself. We had visitors and instead of investigating all the opportunities for treats and cuddles he just sat on my lap. On one level, it was lovely to have that cuddle, but it was so sad that he needed it.

On Monday he perked up considerably - and that is when his nose became so very productive. It has been gruesome, not helped by his long-standing refusal to have anyone, and I mean anyone, wipe his nose. If you heard his complaints as I advanced with a tissue or a damp flannel you would think the poor child was about to be murdered.

I think he can only breathe through his mouth at the moment, so he is not keen on his usual toast. However he is tucking in to lots of bottles during the day. This is probably a Bad Thing but at least it gets liquid and nutrition into him. He isn't even eating pears, though he tucked into some Impossible Pie earlier.

I wonder if dear heart would notice if some of his grapes went missing. It would be a lovely pick me up for little bear. I'm sure dear heart wouldn't mind, and what the eye doesn't see...

2 comments:

Tryingmybest said...

It's not a bad thing for him just to drink. The space at the back of the throat is very small when they are babies, and trying to eat can produce the gag reflex if they have a sore throat or swollen tonsils.
For the sake of your carpets and furniture, I'd just leave him to his milk which goes down easily enough.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you - I am being desperately soft with him at the moment, so he has had lots of fromage frais and yoghurt as well, but poor little lad wouldn't even eat a juicy bit of pear.

Milk it is, then!

Thanks WS