Wednesday 4 February 2009

Little bear is getting busy

I know I am going to have my hands full with little bear. You can see it as he tries to swing his leg over the top of the safety gate. I think he is within about six inches of getting over. I am worried half to death. He is constantly and consistently trying to climb, scramble or otherwise head into trouble.

He has suddenly decided that he likes having his teeth brushed - new fruit flavoured toothpaste! I think the record for teeth brushing is now six times in one day, but I am not complaining. There are worse things for him to do.

He is still not speaking, so when he decides he wants to brush his teeth he will turn the tv off, look at me and poke his finger in his mouth like a toothbrush. Then he picks up his teddy bear and heads purposefully to the foot of the stairs.

Today was a bit of a breakthrough. He growled when he was pretending to be a tiger and hissed like a snake.

It was a wonderful and infuriating moment. It was wonderful because he was making noises as a way of communicating and infuriating because he copied something from tv, despite my relentless and unceasing efforts to get him just to say anything. I suppose it is a wonderful preview of when teacher will know best.

4 comments:

J's Mummy said...

Oh little bear sounds so like my DS. He was not going to talk until he was well and truely able to say something of importance. He will get there. Try ignoring him when he wants to brush his teeth. I bet he makes some noise very soon LOL

Wannabe Sybil said...

He was very clear about wanting to brush his teeth earlier, and I didn't because I needed to find his new tooth brush. He was quite explicit but unfortunately without making a noise. I shall be devastated if he grows up to be a mime artist (actually, I'll probably be really proud of him, but really...)

Tryingmybest said...

Jack's Mummy, tell Sybil how young Jack was when he learnt to use a screwdriver, pmsl. I was going to, but didn't want to talk behind your back or worry her.

J's Mummy said...

Sadly Sybil she is right. Jack could use a screwdriver by the time he was 18 months old. He didn't talk until well over 2. Be afraid, be very afraid - it is all going on in little bears head. You have a junior genius there xx