Thursday 21 May 2009

Darn and Poot

I spotted a spelling mistake on my last post, and I can't work out how to edit it.

Darn, darn darn and darn.

I am not sure that it is entirely healthy, but I do like to make an effort to at least get the dratted spelling right.

Must try harder.

I hate noticing grammar and spelling mistakes. If I notice them in my posts it irritates me severely. If I notice them in other people's posts I feel uncomfortable, because really as long as something can be understood what is the point.

But then again, if you take an effort to try and get the grammar and spelling right you are more likely to be understood.

But on the other hand you can spend so much time eg stretching the sentence so that it doesn't end with a preposition that you lost the flow (Winston Churchill said that 'This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put,' and some books of grammar say that it is not a problem anyway).

And I am well aware that without the red underlining and the back space my writing would be considerably messier. So I know I am not in a position to criticise.

And for posterity it has been recorded that dear heart knelt on a seven day part of the put up bed. Sigh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a terrible speller but don't realise as I type far too fast . Mental note, must check for typos :P