Friday 29 May 2009

There is so much to look at.

I have been trying to do for little bear what my darling father did for me. Wherever we went he would point out things, tell me all about them, encourage me to look.

So as we have walked along the street this week I have pointed out sparrows, swallows, yellow hammers, blue tits, pigeons and crows. As we have walked in the field I have pointed out Queen Anne's lace, wild garlic, buttercups, daisies, herb robert, roses, dandelions and nettles. For me it is a little sad. I grew up in an urban environment, but both of my parents had a country background and could tell me about flowers and animals and generally enjoy what was there. Little bear is more removed from that countryside. Now I wouldn't like to take him blackberrying because I would be worried about fumes from cars and what they may have been sprayed with.

One of my favourite sights is the blue tit that has nested in a crack in the back of a local pub. I have seen it flying to and fro, often with a full beak. It looks so full of life and joie de vivre. I may be grumbling at the owner of the pub because he hasn't mended the hole in my neighbours roof, but I am not in a hurry for him to repair this particular structural defect.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Hi - have been away this week for a few days. Although we live in the countryside in a small village, we live in the Fens where it is flat and there aren't a lot of trees. We have been on holiday to Sheringham on the North Norfolk coast and stayed in a caravan on a woodland park (Kelling Heath) and so the countryside there is very different from that which we have here. There were 250 acres of woodland to walk or cycle through, and lots of birds and squirrels to watch in the garden each morning whilst drinking that vital first cup of tea! Glad to be back and be able to catch up with everyone in blogland who I have missed.

Morgan

Wannabe Sybil said...

It sounds absolutely idyllic. I hope you had a marvellous time