Thursday 21 May 2009

Little bear takes a constitutional.

Little bear, bless him, is full of energy. The garden is not safe and the weather has not encouraged a trip to the park (for me it is at least fifteen minutes (my walking pace) each way plus play time). So we have gone to the shops.

We have gone to the local sandwich shop, which I would recommend to anyone, where little bear gets attention and a toasted teacake. We have gone to the local chemist where little bear gets attention and treats. We have gone to the local newsagents where little bear gets attention and treats. At the chemist in the local health centre little bear doesn't just get attention, he always gets a lollipop bought for him by a very kind lady who works there! A pattern has started to emerge.

Today we went out as soon as he woke from his afternoon nap, as it was sunny and the weather is erratic to say the least. We trundled along to the newsagents, 15p for a fudge. Then over a patch of grass and over a bridge (thank goodness for reins - a dual carriageway one side, a stream the other and a fast little bear is a terrifying combination). Then we went past the horse (I wish it wasn't just tethered there, I always worry but this seems to have at least someone that bothers) and up the bank. Then into the chemist. I wanted just one thing.

Little bear did not behave nicely, I was very cross, and apologetic to the lady. He wanted something that he had seen and he was not being parted from it. Not the sweets at his eye level, nor the toys - he went for a tomato. Which he has almost eaten. Over some time.

It has set me thinking. First of all little bear would never have come away with the object of his desire if he had tried for sweets or toys. Secondly, I need to find ways of going out for a walk without spending. Because all sorts of things seem to leap into my hand, not just the odds and ends and the bits for little bear.

Roll on the slightly better weather when the park is a better prospect. And next time I think I will stand firm, even for a healthy tomato. I don't want to be ashamed of him in shops.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

See, he's just so cute, people can't help giving hin gifts!

Have you tried showing LB how much money you are taking out and explaining what it will buy. Then leaving your purse at home. So take a 20p piece. If he wants more you explain you have no more money and to the shop assistants, you just look like you are teaching your son the value of money? Easier said than done, I'm sure!!!!! x

Wannabe Sybil said...

This is a really good idea - all the local shop keepers know him (of course) and I will chat with anyone.

Embarrassingly, a lot of the problem is random purchases not for little bear, who is remarkably good, but me thinking - I could just do with a chocolate boost, I could just do with some extra stardrops, I wonder if that carpet cleaner will work...

The taking out limited money sounds like a winner. Thank you.