Wednesday 30 September 2009

Party party party

My sister in law had a party to celebrate her fiftieth birthday. She sent invitations suggesting long dresses should be worn and that the theme was Hollywood. I have mentioned this.

Well, I spent two hours and a lot of money in the local salon. I wish I could convey the deep distrustful suspicion that little bear had as he looked at me. His expression betrayed so much doubt and cautious disapproval I got the giggles. I looked rather nice, though I say so myself, with my hair up and nails done and all the rest. Dear heart looked absolutely drop dead gorgeous in a James Bond type tuxedo. I'm not sure little bear entirely approved of that as well.

It was the first time that we had gone out for an evening together since little bear was born. The babysitter came round - she lives next door, but I think darling father (78) was a bit taken aback by having a youngish teenager come round in her pyjamas and towelling dressing gown. I left them to it. Apparently both had a nice evening chatting and watching football/doing coursework. The babysitter would sit for us again, which is reassuring.

When we got there, it was obvious that many hadn't made so much effort, and that some had not turned up. Well it is daunting to read 'long dresses' on the invite - especially for the gentlemen. And the birthday girl was not able to do as much as she liked as she had broken her foot the day before.

When we got home I asked anxiously about little bear. Apparently he had woken up. The babysitter had gone upstairs to use the bathroom, and little bear had woken, come to the stair gate, assessed the situation and then, without a word, gone back to sleep.

But it was fun, and we did have a good time. I am not, however, in a hurry to repeat it. It was just such a lot of rushing around. And I shall certainly NOT be doing similar for my 50th. I shall be pretending it isn't happening.

1 comment:

J's Mummy said...

It's nice to get dressed up now and then isn't it? But even nicer to come home and putthe comfies back on LOL