Tuesday 1 September 2009

Uninvited guest

We have a mouse.

This is not an unexpected event. After all, on the row backing on to us three out of the four houses are empty. That Landlord's properties are in a gross state of disrepair. We live near a few patches of wasteland. And Her Three Doors Down is over-run with them. Much as I loathe Her Three Doors Down, I can't blame her - she has an empty house at the back of her and a walled up property to one side, and her house keeping is of a far higher standard than mine.

So Saturday night was spent intermittently being woken by an elusive rustling. I was not impressed.

I could rely on evil cat to pounce, but my reliance on her is not strong. She is elderly, creaky and although in remarkable fettle for her age, she is not as nimble as she used to be. Also I am not sure she has ever actually seen a mouse. I am not sure how she would react to a mouse. I suspect that the instincts are there, but not so sure about actual finish.

When we get the first cold snap I expect to be over-run so I shall be going out and buying (what an excuse) some plastic boxes (inexpensive Matalan own brand) and packing up the existing boxes with other vulnerable items.

I am also considering rehousing an older cat. Company for evil cat and perhaps a dedicated mouser. Hmm.

No comments: