Wednesday 30 September 2009

What I did on my holiday Part 9

Day Seven - Thursday

Today was another quiet day. Little bear and I went to feed the ducks in Pickering. It was obviously a feeding station for the ducks, and little bear was happy throwing the ends of the loaves that had gone stale (delivered Friday) but only to the ducks in the water. I surreptitiously sneaked a few bits to the ducks crowding onto the path. Little bear did want to stroke them, but fortunately he was not holding bread at the time and I managed to dissuade him.

The railing at the duck feeding station is actually very good. It sort of leans out, so that the bottom of the railing must be about a foot away from the edge of the drop to the river. It is stout, newish looking and I had no qualms about sitting a few feet away while little bear hurled bread at the ducks in the water. Until he dropped a bit on the concrete between the bottom of the rail and the drop. I abandoned pandy and shot across - I don't think any Olympic sprinter left their blocks as quick as I left that bench to grab little bear as he bent to get the bit of bread. In hindsight I can see that at no point was he anywhere near the edge. That is not the point. I stuck to him like glue after that.

Later on, after a walk in the woods by the castle, little bear fell asleep on my lap. It was wonderful.

Tea was a second round of the casserole, with tinned tomatoes and cumin added.

No comments: