Tuesday 8 September 2009

Stopping the shopping

The last few weeks have been very expensive.

First there was my sister in law's fiftieth birthday invite, for a Hollywood theme. So, ebay is my friend and I purchase very bright jewellery, much tackier than I normally would even consider (necklet, bangle, earrings, two ridiculously large rings - less than £20 for all inc p&p though I begrudge the money - I got rid of all my teenage party stuff, or I could have used that, embarrassingly enough). Then there is the appropriate makeup as I hardly ever wear make up these days and I need more than a bit of eyeliner for the do (that came to more than the 'jewellery', as I got a reasonable quality). Then there is the bag (brand new, £3.49 inc p&p, I still begrudge the money!). I'm sticking to clothes and shoes I already have. I have crumbled and agreed to have my hair done on the day (more expense) and an inexpensive manicure. I am appalling with my hair, it normally looks like 'Hair by Hurricane'. So add a sparkly hair clip to the list of purchases.

Then I succumb to the Economy Gastronomy cookbook. And it seemed a shame not to add one or two things to the Amazon order. They were inexpensive in themselves, but it all adds up.

Little bear went to the birthday party, and that was an inexpensive but very pink gift, plus very pink wrapping paper, plus pink card.

I really should be tidying instead of blogging as darling father is coming up early. That means an increase in whisky, lemonade and, unless I am careful, takeaways. We already became absolutely sickened of takeaways during swine flu. I have just added Sky Sport to the package.

Then there are the grocery deliveries - here, on holiday, then next week as dear heart is off so that means I am topping up with lots of lunch items. None of the deliveries are inexpensive.

The holiday is coming up - petrol, fish & chips, lots of money on steam train rides, entrance fees, donkey rides, ice cream, candy floss (if little bear will countenance it this time) and all the gifts that are compulsory to bring back.

When we get back after the dust has settled there is the birthday present for my sister in law (cash), plus paying the baby sitter, plus drinks. It is surprising how much a glass of lemonade costs (all I will be drinking).

And add in all the impulse buys I've fallen for...

And we really need the new computer, as in we don't think this one will last another month need.

I really think that October is going to have to be a no spend month. So I am afraid that the blog is likely to be cluttered with my struggle to stop the shopping. I am sick of spending money!

Mind you, I have Christmas to worry about next plus little bear's birthday four days after plus a birthday party for him plus five birthdays in January, including one twenty first. I have been putting money away for that - I hope that I have enough stashed away.

1 comment:

Witch Hazel said...

Hi WS, I love reading your blog. A suggestion on how to help "stop the shopping". Open an internet savings account, specifically for the following purpose. Every time you see somethign that you want to buy on a whim, transfer the cost of it into your new savings account instead. You'll be surprised at how quickly this builds up. You then have a pot of money to spend if you want to, to treat yourselves, or to put towards paying off a debt. If you want to, you could go back a week later and see if you still really want the item and buy it. The other technique is to convert your spend into "hours worked to buy this". To do this, remember that for every £1 you spend, DH has had to earn about £1.30. Work out what he earnes per hour (gross) and then you will know how many hours he has had to work to pay for ...whatever it is, and you can see if you still think it is worth it.
You're doing a great job. Hope you're having a lovely holiday
Hazel