Tuesday 29 September 2009

What I did on my holiday Part 6

Day Four - Flamingoland

I had never been to Flamingoland, otherwise I think I would have tried to get there earlier. It was beautiful and sunny, and we were all in good spirits. I whimpered a little at the cost of the entrance tickets, but in we went.

It was marvellous. We had sandwiches, which we ate some of. We had pork pies, of which a small amount was eaten. We bought chip butties and ice creams and we saw all the animals.

Little bear was reasonably impressed by the sea lion display - I loved it. He enjoyed seeing the animals and also being indulged by darling father.

There was a serious incident - pandy fell into an enclosure! Well, not exactly. There is a fence, then a strip of woodland type terrain and then another fence and then the camels. Little bear dropped his precious pandy. It bounced over the fence and down several yards into the woodland type area. Little bear was devastated! Fortunately dear heart was a hero and rescued it, and little bear then clung onto his pandy for dear life! Dear heart did say, with some conviction, that if pandy had landed in the lion enclosure it could have stayed there!

Perhaps the best bit for me was at the end. It was a Monday out of season, and so quite quiet. We only got to see the chimpanzees as they were curled up in their nests of straw, which was almost magical in itself. Then we wandered past the kangaroos. They were all lounging, like cads at a gentleman's club, and we saw a local rabbit shoot past them, presumably to raid their food trough. We were almost the only people there as we strolled around the walkways past the flamingos and we got to see some lovely sites of the animals just playing in the quiet. We were one of the last to leave.

Little bear slept for the last part, and missed the flamingos, but kept a very tight hold on his pandy!

3 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

Glad to hear you had a good holiday Sybil.

Morgan said...

Sounds like you found a gem of a cottage and that you all had a marvellous time! Glad to have you back, though - missed your chatting.

Morgan
x

Wannabe Sybil said...

You underestimate my ability to witter - there is plenty more to say!

Hester - I am still working my way towards the award, but thought I would leave it to last of my postings, so that it got more attention from recipients!

Love WS x