Tuesday 29 September 2009

What I did on my holiday Part 3

Day Two - Saturday

It was a free open day at Pickering Castle and we went up to see what was going on. There was an archery display and medieval games. Little bear was not a happy chappy. He had been a bit off colour for the last few days, and it was still showing. He was extremely grumpy.

I left dear heart and darling father and took little bear back to the cottage (several yards away!) as I suspected his nappy. On the way we passed a police handler with a sniffer dog. I carefully pointed out the nice doggy, with the nice policemen, and checked before letting little bear get closer that the dog was okay. "It will be fine," said the handler. The sniffer approached little bear warily, sniffed and then growled and hid behind the handler. I thought it best to move on.

Back at the cottage I could understand the sniffer dog's distress, little bear's nappy was epic! I got him cleaned up (with some effort - and he was so sore that he cried when I changed him, even though his bottom had been fine just two hours earlier!) and took him back to the castle.

I saw the handler, and said that she shouldn't be cross with the sniffer dog because there was a really serious nappy involved. She said, 'It's fine, besides he's always like that with littlies.' I think I would have appreciated knowing that to keep little bear a little further away from the poor dog.

I was extremely proud of myself for the tea. We had wonderful local sausages, from a real butcher, with the leftover fried rice from the 'takeaway' the night before but I refried the rice with onions and added a small tin of sweetcorn. It was lovely

No comments: