Thursday 8 October 2009

Another party looming

Once upon a time I used to be a party person. I would be first on the dance floor and last off. I would have so much fun, chatting and drinking...

However that was then and this is now.

My sister in law has bought little bear a trick or treat costume. She didn't ask first, but I didn't mind. After all, it is little bear and he will probably enjoy it and look tremendously cute. Her daughter (21 next Jan) has also got a costume. Sister in law has 'just' got a mask.

I am not really encouraged to call them, so I am not sure whether to ring or not and ask, am I supposed to dress up and as what? The mind boggles. Is dear heart supposed to dress up? He has a lot of costume left over from a previous 'do' so that would be quite acceptable.

They are coming here first to go trick or treating in the few houses I am actually speaking to (okay, only one house I refuse to acknowledge, but when that is 25% then it seems a significant amount). So I need to sort out the house...

I have checked with next door but one and she is happy for us to knock and I said that if for any reason we missed her little ones we would save them something. Next door really enjoy Halloween, so I am sure that they will be happy to have little bear knock.

Should I decorate the house? I have been hoping to postpone this sort of thing for several years, but looking on quidco, woollies do have an acceptable range of Halloween tat with 8% cashback. And should I cook? I am not sure that my sister in law would like my cooking. We have always had a takeaway in the past but a spooky meal may be just the ticket - like the black beans and peaches recipe I found in the anticraft book. Pumpkin pie? Pork based casseroles with apples? Gingerbread? Parkin? Mulled cider (for those not on antidepressants, driving or in charge of little bears)?

Part of me says - go for it with gusto!!! If it gets too stressful I shall just get a takeaway and we can all have fun. Sister in law loves 'gothic' style items. The cherubs on her fire surround have been painted black and have red eyes. It could be really nice for her.

Part of me says - how much is this going to cost? Now, home made casserole that we would eat anyway, home made gingerbread and parkin, home made black beans and peaches will not be terribly expensive. Little bear has his costume bought for him. But I can see little bits and pieces mounting up here and there...

If this was Christmas I would be saying 'bah humbug'. And in less than 78 days I probably will.

No comments: