Monday 26 October 2009

Little bear 'reads' a story

There is a wonderful story for children called 'We're going on a Bear Hunt' which has a beautiful series of illustrations and a lovely, formulaic story. The first bit goes, 'We're going on a bear hunt, we're going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day, we're not scared. Uh oh grass, long wavy grass. We can't go over it, we can't go under it. Oh no! We've got to go through it, swishy swashy etc and carries on in the same way until they meet the bear and run away.

Little bear likes this story. We have a board book version and he was sitting there looking thoughtful. Then we heard, 'bear hunt. Big non. Boo day. No scared. Uh oh. Ass. un. ov. Oh no! through.'

He 'read' the book all the way through. Just by listening we could tell where he was - and he loved it. I wish I could convey the horror of 'oh no!' when read by little bear - he sounded absolutely horror struck. I was so proud. I don't for a minute believe he is actually reading the book, but he is turning the pages and telling a story, and understanding that the words mean something.

Later on, when he was allegedly going to have a sleep, we heard him 'read' the story several times to pandy. He stayed right on the story, as if he was really reading it!

It makes up for the ten minutes I spent this morning re-rolling a roll of bin liners that little bear had happened to. It makes up for everything - I am just so proud!

2 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

I can remember when my oldest who is now 33, used to 'read' The very Hungry Caterpiller' in the same way.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Isn't it a wonderful feeling? I can see a lot of books being added to the Christmas list lol. WS x