Wednesday 7 October 2009

Little bear is busy

Yesterday little bear was flagging, so I took him upstairs. He was quite cross about the whole business, but I let him settle down, thinking that he was really not far from sleep (pale face, big eyes, attention span of a gnat in a hurricane).

All was quiet. I was feeling a little below par anyway, so I was glad if he was just playing quietly. Actually he had rattled his stair gate so much that he had got out, gone into my room, and decided that the pump dispenser for hand cream actually belonged in the bathroom, so he moved it there. He also took a full tube of toothpaste in it's box... Actually what you might have thought would happen didn't. He neatly put the cardboard box in the bin and brushed his teeth. I think I need to raise my game re housekeeping. He is so much tidier than me. Also, I need to re-evaluate all the toddler hazards upstairs. Again.

I only twigged when I heard water in the bathroom running - then I opened the door at the bottom of the stairs and within seconds little bear's head was peeping round the banister with a 'what?' expression.

Failed to get him to eat. Managed to eventually coax him to drink some milkshake. Then he NEEDED a change before we went to the doctors. It took me best part of twenty minutes to get him onto the changing mat. He had already expressed strong disapproval of the idea of boops (honestly, once I couldn't get them off him, now I can't get them on him!) and now it came to go out he expressed an extreme refusal of the waterproof poncho. It was raining with a purpose, and he needed something. Fortunately he has a frog umbrella. He then walked nicely as far as the newsagents, nicely to the doctors, waited more or less patiently at the doctors and chemist and hurtled home.

Thereafter every time I turned my back on him, there was an incident - just little things but it was with gratitude that I saw dear heart home. So I could blink in safety.

Today he is much less 'hyper' - I suspect that the baby nurofen is having the same effect as calpol, in that it presses the fast forward button. Also I think he was out of sorts and unable to settle to anything. Today has been much less traumatic (so far - watch this space, just in case).

No comments: