Wednesday 24 February 2010

Lady Gaga

I was wondering what the fuss was about, and so I clicked onto Youtube, randomly choosing 'Bad Romance'.

Now as a lady trotting through middle age I don't think I am the target audience. I quite liked the tune, and I thought the costumes were a lot of fun. I probably won't buy the album. But not because I think the music was bad.

But it did set me thinking. My late grandmother was absolutely appalled by Blondie. I was quite a fan, but my late grandmother was disgusted. Looking back I feel that she felt she ought to be disgusted and dismissive. It was just after Punk Rock and there was such a division between the generations. Her sister in law, who had worn slacks all the way through WW2 and the fifties wouldn't wear trousers 'because one didn't' and wore a white cardi because everyone else did.

Now, thirty years later, I feel quite free to trot along to pick up little bear in a battered fleece, a well worm hand knitted sweater, a pair of jeans (unthinkable for my mother) and humming randomly Lady Gaga/Guns n Roses/Beethoven/Bandel. I don't think I would have ever quite conformed to a stereotype but I do feel now that there is so much less pressure to 'act your age'. I think that it is a tremendous liberation.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Get with it, sis. 'Poker Face' is a MUCH better track! ;)

PS Bought LB a Nessie in Edinburgh. I held off from buying the choc drops called 'Nessie Whoopsies' as I thought it would just take way too much explanation.

Wannabe Sybil said...

I do not want to explain to LB that Nessie's poo is chocolate. It could end up in therapy lol.

I hope you had a great time! WSx