Friday 5 February 2010

Too cold

I don't know how I survived, brought up in a house without central heating!

Actually, I remember, I froze. I have always felt the cold and I suffer. And it would not be so bad. We have a gas fire in the living room, which does an excellent job. However I am stuck in the house, effectively in one room, with a poorly three year old and I am struggling.

If I felt a little better it would be easier, but I am suffering from the ankle, eye, throat and self pity lurgy. In this cold weather I do not want to take little bear out as he has a poorly eye. Yesterday was snow and today is cold rain.

I can't pop down to the icy kitchen often as little bear insists on coming with me and in his poorly state will say, 'what's this? what's this? what's this?' interminably as I frantically try and wash a few plates before he dismantles the knife drawer.

Also, while little bear is getting too old for afternoon naps, when poorly he benefits greatly from them. But I can't put a sick boy in an icy room knowing how unlikely it is that he will climb under the covers (or stay if put). I can't put a portable heater in with him - he is entranced by buttons and knobs and finding what he has set my washing machine to is an ongoing adventure. Efforts to convince him that napping on the sofa is good have been futile. And wearing. So by the time dear heart comes home little bear is pink cheeked and frantic with exhaustion (much like myself).

Boiler installation due 22 Feb - oh happy day!

1 comment:

Sue @ Smiffy's Blog said...

Oh dear, thats a long time to wait...could they not do it sooner??? Especially as they forecast more snow next week.. Feel so sorry for you. I too was brought up in a house with no heating other then a coal fire in the back room....no wonder I became asthmatic at a young age. Take care & super bigs hugs coming your way. . Sue x