Sunday 15 August 2010

Frugal fail

I bought a bacon joint from Mr S for £3.99. I then put it in the slow cooker and cooked it all day with just a bouquet garni and some peppercorns. It was only a small joint, it wasn't even on offer, but the meat comes out beautiful and tender and not too salty.

Fail number one - I tipped the liquid down the drain. I hated doing it, but there is no room in the freezer for anything at all, and I know that cooking a pile of split peas and lentils in it would not get eaten any time in the next week. I was upset by that, but took it on the chin.

This bacon joint http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1281907801312 sliced up nicely for the first meal, with frozen veg (still no room in the freezer) and potatoes cubed, stirred around with oil and a sachet of morrocan vegetable spices from Approved Foods and then cooked in the Remoska. So far so good.

It was sliced up for the second time to feed four - it was still beautiful and tender. I was going to do it with mash and beans but I had a fail. Not only did I not really do enough potatoes, and OH doesn't like Smash, but I couldn't physically lift the pan of potatoes, that I had accidentally overcooked (little bear needed a cuddle) to a mush, and so I couldn't drain them properly so it was a sort of wallpaper paste effect when I added the butter...

Fail number two - I went to the Chinese chippy, and bought two portions of chips, and while I was at it I got a portion of mushrooms. The mushrooms were very nice indeed and they should have been. The total for that was £4 or 1p more than the bacon joint that was feeding four for a second time.

And the beans were boiled to tar when I got back as apparently they had to grow the potatoes for the chips, which is how OH likes beans but I prefer less sludge...

Must try harder.

No comments: