Wednesday 18 August 2010

Spider

I am moderate about spiders - I don't get hysterical about them but I am not keen. However I am usually the spider wrangler as OH is really not keen. Dr Who and the Planet of the Spiders has a lot to answer for.

Today there was a large spider in the bath. My first instinct was not to send for evil cat, as I swear some of the mice that we had earlier in the year were smaller. I did not want evil cat coming second as she is not her usual evil self. Normally inconvenient spiders are the duty of cat disposal, but not this time. And I wasn't sure about the usual 'leave a strip of toilet paper hanging from the top of the bath to the bottom and hope it gets the hint' technique. I wasn't sure I really wanted it stomping around.

Regardless, I wanted a bath so I steeled myself and tried to scoop it out of the bath with a strip of toilet paper. There was absolutely no way I was touching it. It was not a spider that looked familiar, and I grew up in a Port, and we are no so far away from an airport. Also I have heard far too many stories about spiders in bananas. This didn't look the banana type, more a sort of Australian look, which isn't good.

The spider wanted nothing to do with this escape net chasing her round the bath, I swear the taps were rattling as it stomped around. Eventually I weakened. I hate killing spiders, but this one was going to have to go down the plug hole. I needed the bath - I really NEEDED a bath for the sake of those around me and also my own sanity. Little bear was complaining in the background, so on went the tap.

Now, you may or may not believe me, as all spider threads go on about size (something freudian here?) but this spider did not fit down the plughole. It was too big.

Well, I did the best I could with quite a few gallons of cold water and firmly snapped in the plug. I had a lovely hot bath and did not pull out the plug until I was on my way out of the bathroom. I have not been back in since.

I feel really bad about killing the spider, though probably not as bad as the spider. It serves me right if we are over run with flies. On the other hand, this one was too big to go down the plug hole so I feel better about it being in the plug hole than possibly in my bed!

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

Oh Syb - poor spidey. Can't help being a spider, and doesn't do any harm.
I used to be very scared of spiders. Eventually I realised that an A4 piece of paper, or a magazine, is great for transporting them, They run on to it, and the paper is rigid enough to be picked up and carried with spider on it. If the spider runs across the paper towards you while you are carrying it, it is rigid enough for you to turn it round in your hands so the spider is effectively running away from you. Failing that, one of those spider-friendly tubes from Lakeland might be in order. Hazelxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

I think one of the tubes is the way to go - I was chasing it with paper, which I have done successfully in the past, but this big momma was not having any of it!

I haven't dared look under the plug to see what's in the plug hole. 'It's back, and this time it's personal!' WS X

PS Actually, quite seriously, I'm not sure it would fit in the tube - it was honestly v big!