Sunday 11 April 2010

Timber!!!!!

Dear heart has attacked the buddlia. I haven't spelled the name of the bush right - it's also known as the butterfly bush. It wasn't really pruned back properly last year...

We now have this huge heap of vegetation in front of the house. I am hoping my tiny leaved yellow rose survives the heap of branches on it. For those unaware of buddliea, they are monsters. We have easily chopped off ten foot from the 'bush' and I am confident that it will be the same height again by next Halloween. Rather more sadly dear heart had to cut down the beautiful rose that grows up in the middle as without the shelter of the buddlia, the weight of the branches would pull it down. It was easily reaching the height of the second floor window, possibly fifteen feet.

It is lovely in summer, the buddlia has dark purple spike flowers, which smell delicious. The rose has a flower of a shade half way between peach and scarlet. They mingle and look and smell gorgeous.

I hope that the skip promised does come tomorrow - you would not believe what piles and piles of buddlia branches look like, and I want to prune back the hydrangea as well.

Little bear helped - by going next door and playing with their puppy!

1 comment:

sweet blondie blue eyes said...

I well rememebr my husbands horror when I cut down a buddleia hedge in the garden of our cottage some years ago, he swore I had killed it, summer proved him wrong it came back stronger than ever.

Your rose will recover too.