Monday 10 September 2012

I love talking about weather

So the weather has changed drastically.  This is not unusual in the UK, it is more unusual for the weather to stay the same.  But walking back from little bear's school drop off I noticed that while the crab apples were ripe, there were also blossoms on the tree. This was next to some really red hawthorn berries, looking more like October than September. 

I don't blame the plants for being confused.  The fuschia that did so well last year is only just breaking blossom now.  I think the lack of sun has not helped.  The rose looks like it thinks it's December, but that may also be the effect of local vandals.  There have definitely been less butterflies than last summer. 

Another oddity I noticed was an apple tree on waste ground with speckled stripes on the apples.  It is on a bit of ground behind locked railings, or I would try and get to one.  They look so pretty, and perhaps Victorian.  The nearest I have found in online is a Jonathan apple but it is far more dainty and speckled.  As apples apparently do not grow true from seed but have all sorts of different traits that can come through from very dull apples, it is probably just the result of a discarded supermarket apple core, but it is just so striking.  I wonder what it tastes like - I'll never know as the railings are far too daunting.  If I work out how to use a camera before they all get eaten by more adventurous apple lovers then I will post a picture. 




No comments: