Wednesday 19 September 2012

Rubbish!

The bin men call on Wednesday morning.  This is confirmed on the council website.  Every Wednesday morning the council have arranged for us to be woken up by a massive refuse truck.  So every Tuesday night we scrape all the rubbish together and bung it out.  We don't bung it out as it occurs as we have a large local cat population, a very large local rat population and it can get very messy indeed.  Tuesday night is also 'completely empty evil cat's litter tray and not just scoop it' night, 'clean all the rubbish out of the fridge and be suitably ashamed of all the food past the use by date' night and 'actually remember to bring the rubbish out of the bedrooms and bathroom' night. 

So when the bins are collected on Tuesday afternoon with no warning, it's a bit of a problem.

I was not at my best, I did a very good fishwife impression, I was far below the standard of behaviour I expect from myself.  But when the first thing the bin man said as I came out of the house in disbelief was 'where's your husband then?' I was a bit cross.  What did it matter where my husband was - what mattered to me was where my rubbish was, and it was distributed more or less evenly over four separate floors and I was having trouble breathing as it was - though I did have enough air to shriek at the bin man. And I was far from the only one caught like this.  I think they rely on people either not noticing or not caring. 

It isn't the first time it has happened, and I am not a happy bunny. I am also trapped with a lot of stinky cat litter.  I have had a grumble at the council, while saying truthfully that the bin men were normally fine.  However I will be keeping an eye on this. 

2 comments:

Morgan said...

We have the opposite end of it here - they used to come bang on 7am every Wednesday morning, and now it can sometimes be very late afternoon before they turn up and one is sometimes on the brink of ringing the council to say that they haven't been, and then they deign to arrive!

Wannabe Sybil said...

I am considering getting curlers and standing outside and glaring when they do turn up next, except my hair is too short for curlers - perhaps a curler wig. Regardless, I am considering being very Lily Savage over it. I don't mind late within reason. I don't even mind early if I know about it. I do mind when they just ask where my husband is. And breathe... WS xxxx