Tuesday 4 September 2012

Thus spake little bear

I am a Christian, though not a very good one.  I believe in God, and Christ and I sometimes read the Bible.  I am an epic fail at church attendance, and when I do attend I wander off in daydreams during the hymns, but I do my best.  So some of the questions little bear asks me these days are really taxing my theological knowledge.  I know shedloads about Medieval heresy and the theology of the Early Church and even a few scraps about the evolution of Medieval liturgy (I have a novel in mind for it, it's research).  However I am very shaky on current theology, and apart from anything else I want to do the right thing by little bear.  When he asked whether there were toilets in heaven, I was a bit thrown, but I said that while I didn't know, I was sure we would have whatever we needed in heaven to make us happy.  I thought I ought to try and get him to Sunday School so that I could delegate these questions.

Then little bear told me that God was dead.  What!?!?  Where did that come from?!  Little bear kindly explained.  Mummy's mummy was dead and in heaven.  Daddy's mummy was dead and in heaven.  Daddy's daddy was dead and in heaven.  Malevolent cat and psychotic cat were dead and in heaven (really not sure about the theology of this one!).  God was in heaven.  Therefore God was dead.  It's impeccable logic for a five year old. 

Darling father took over the explanation of people being alive again in heaven and God not being the same as everyone else, to my relief.  However I am thinking more and more that Sunday School is a great place for little bear to spend Sunday mornings. 

I should add for those concerned about me forcing a defenseless child into a rigid Sunday School, two of his friends already attend (play at) the local one and he already has the leader eating out of his hand as well as half the congregation.  I should also add that at one point OH applied to train as a vicar, which he didn't continue with, and he does have current theological knowledge and he is always spectacularly absent when little bear comes out with these gems.  I suspect little bear knows I am the weakest target and takes charming advantage. 

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I can understand LB's thinking here. It is great that he is thinking things through for himself like this at his age - impressive!

Hope he is getting on ok at school this week.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Morgan - thank you! It is just so little bear. His first day at school went okay as far as I can tell. With little bear, I just go with the flow. And also worry desperately about not leading him the wrong direction, but I think that is just how every mum is. hugs to you - I hope you are finding some 'me' time! WS xxxx