Saturday 29 September 2012

Diary of a plague

Little bear has gone through his usual 'ill' routine.

Thursday afternoon he was looking a bit flu-like, but nothing that should interfere with his plans for the weekend.

Friday morning he was poorly enough to stay off school and felt a bit sorry for himself.

Friday afternoon he was starting to go off with the fairies, his temperature was high and rising, calpol wasn't working and he was so upset with his aching bones.  I called the doctors and when I couldn't get an appointment asked about the walk in centre (little bear has a lot of form for extremely high temperatures).  The doctor fitted me in and discovered a seriously high temperature and a vicious case of tonsillitis.  The lovely, lovely doctor was extremely sceptical about little bear's claim to be going to school on Monday. 

Friday night, after two doses of penicillin, little bear is a lot more chirpy but still didn't do the usual 'racing round and then pretending to be shot' routine and lay quietly for stories. 

Saturday morning, well, it has taken me forty minutes to write this as little bear is a lot happier and is explaining all his Doctor Who trading cards to me.  He is still explaining how his 'tossils' mean he can't do things like put rubbish in a bin, and he is not eating or drinking as much as I would like, but I can see him making it to the party on Sunday.  School on Monday is actually looking like a possibility.

I can now realise how upset and stressed I was.  I think I now can take some time to recover and be grateful for antibiotics, in between keeping up with a suddenly energetic little bear! 

No comments: