Thursday 4 July 2013

Have time to post

Bear is poorly and needed cuddles from the teacher today.  Poor lamb has a sore throat.  It's not a serious thing but it does mean that I am kept on a short leash as he gets upset if I go into another room (unless, of course I am fetching something for him).  I am currently suffering through a youtube video of a minecraft demonstration.

I suspect I will be getting plenty of computer time tomorrow.

I am feeling a bit upset.  I have a mirror that used to be my mother's and I think was originally my great-grandmother's.  It is a painted mirror with a bird and a flower painted over the mirror's glass and it is in a wooden frame that is sort of arts and crafts and probably not as old as the actual mirror.  I love it, but DH isn't as keen, and it hasn't really fit in anywhere, but finally I may be able to hang it.  Unfortunately the frame and the back of the mirror is now raddled with mildew.

I don't know what to do.  I don't have the money to pay for it to be restored.  I don't want it to linger around full of mildew.  I don't want to accidentally wreck the painting on glass or the wooden frame.  It's not worth anything much so there is no point in donating it to a charity that restores things and then sells them like Emmaeus.  I suspect I may have to just throw it out, but that would break my heart.  I am devastated.




As you can see from the reflection, the junk room is still not cleared but is looking better (believe it or not) and is at least free from untreated black mould.  

I suppose it is time to get the mould treatment out again and hope against all home that the paint and the wood survive.  I could cry.  

3 comments:

Morgan said...

The FH suggests that you might try wiping an area of it with turpentine and see if that helps. Failing that, his other option is to leave it somewhere as dry as you can possibly find (here we'd put it in the airing cupboard) and dry it out - for some time - and then you might be able to brush the mildew off.
Whatever you try, something would be better than throwing it out - I can see why you would be heartbroken as it is quite beautiful. Good luck and hugs xxx

Lesley said...

How disappointing for you. It is very hard when something like this happens. I use mould killer quite a lot, but I've never used it on wood. I can't see why it shouldn't work though! Lesley x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you both! I think when I first saw it my heart just broke. However I think I will start off by just gently wiping it over with a damp cloth, avoiding the actual painted bits, and leave it next to the dehumidifier. The main causes of the damp in the room have now been dealt with, so hopefully I'll get it cleaned up and it will be fine. I shouldn't be such a drama queen, but it is something so dear to me I was devastated. I really appreciate the support. WS xxx