Thursday 25 July 2013

Post Office

I am very rarely in the local post office.  In fact, I go in less than once per month.  Sometimes it's very busy but sometimes it is very quiet.  I don't have a particular emotional attachment to it.

However we now have a letter saying that they are considering relocating the post office to inside the local Nisa.  Do we want to share our views.  

I don't know.  I honestly don't know.  If you are elderly and it is cold and icy then moving the post office just under half a mile (according to Google maps) it could be a big deal.  On the other hand there is no parking at the current post office and it is on the curve of a sharp bend on a busy road.  There is some parking at the Nisa.

The days when you called into the post office for the Family Allowance are gone.  Most of it is paid directly and will be paid monthly under the new proposals. I can see it being hard to justify a full post office.  The people running it are, I think, retirement age, and the whole thing may have been prompted by them deciding to retire but what if it wasn't?  How hard will it be for them to find jobs?

Then again it will help keep the Nisa going, which will be challenged when the new Tesco opens.  That is a whole other story and the Tesco, just too far away to walk, will make it hard on a lot of local shops.  It is also going to have vicious effects on local traffic.  The Nisa is a useful resource and I would be sorry to see it go.  The post office as it is run has only the post office counter, a few cards and some scraps of stationery.  It makes more sense for the smaller amount of post office work to be meshed in with another business.  It's not as if the post office is going altogether.

I honestly just don't know.


No comments: