Thursday 16 December 2010

More than I can chew

I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew...

I wanted to clear out the bottom cupboards in the corner as I haven't been in them for two years. There is a floor to ceiling built in cupboard, around a foot deep and around three foot wide, divided into two halves. We have never really been able to use it properly as there has always been furniture against it. In the bottom half of the cupboard was craft stuff (that much I knew) though not sure of what ilk, and I wanted to empty it, sort it and put the Christmas decorations (plus any other seasonal stuff like Halloween) in there. The top cupboard is going to hold drinks and as we now eat in the living room there is going to be a tray with salt, pepper etc.

Little bear heard me talking about this...

Little bear has never been allowed in the top cupboards, I was worried about trapped fingers etc. I think his imagination has populated it with magical wonders. As for the bottom cupboard, that was indeed a place of mystery. I warned him if we was there that he would have to be careful as there were lots of sharp things so at 7.30 this morning he was there, wearing silicone oven gloves and declaring that he was careful and was wearing gloves for protection and can we do the cupboards now please.

Finally we started. Darling father stayed out of it, sensibly. First we had to move the sofa. Now, I am being all precious about my shoulder, and I am having trouble sleeping comfortably, so why I thought it was a good idea to pull around all the furniture in the living room while darling father was out I have no idea, but my shoulder has survived remarkably well, and it has also been quite sturdy when reaching in for things.

Actually, not much of the living room furniture is in the same place it was this morning what with moving a sofa that is a little bit big for the room. And the sofa was an adventure all in itself as not only did I find expected rubbish but two audio books I think OH would like but cannot recall when they came into the house. Also two folding, adjustable table that will come in really useful.

I have found all sorts of stuff in the bottom cupboard, mainly counted cross stitch which I haven't done for years. It is just not safe at the moment with little bear, though I will be having another go in a year or two. I am not getting rid of a lot of that, because I found quite a few kits that I really wanted to do. I also found a lot of half started projects...

I can't reach all the shelves of the top cupboard but I have found another box full of bric a brac (will update after they go) and a vast quantity of candles I didn't know I had. I found huge quantities of knitting supplies, lots of odds and ends and I have two bin bags to add to the total.

I am taking five minutes and then I shall have to go back and carry on. I have emptied a lot out of the cupboards, but I need to find a temporary home for the bric a brac, I need to clean where the sofa has been (little bear was far too impatient to allow that earlier), I need to relocate a lot of stuff temporarily to the junk room and I need to put the furniture back.

After I got rid of a lot of boxes I haven't got a suitable box for the bric a brac. Darn.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I am very jealous of the size of the cupboard you describe as living in a modern 6yr old house, I have no such cupboards. I imagine your house to be older (I believe you have several floors..) and having more nooks and crannies - I wish we had those! When we lived in Scotland and I had a house dating from 1810, I had wall presses, and a huge cupboard on the top landing which we constructed in the renovations which was like Aladdin's cave! How I miss it!