Sunday 19 August 2012

Blues versus Reds

Or, if you are not from the UK, Interesting Soccer

Darling father loves his football.  He played semi pro back in the 1950s, played his last competitive match at the age of 50, coached, directed, helped out, was on committees and in many ways lived football for years.  So he watches a lot of football on tv.  I don't have a problem with that.  I was about six months old when I went to my first football match.

Little bear did not enjoy his brush with attempting to play football, but tolerates darling father watching football.  Darling father supports Liverpool FC passionately and deeply and is still recovering from their defeat yesterday.  Little bear also has been supporting Liverpool FC as his favourite colour is red, and Liverpool play in red, which is as logical as anything to do with supporting a football team.  Today they watching Manchester City against Southampton.  Apparently it was an exciting match, I was cooking at the time.

Little bear was thoughtful as I put down his tea in front of him.  Then he announced, 'I supporting Mansity now.  They are a great team."
"I thought you liked the colour red?" OH asked.  "Manchester City play in blue."
"Blue is my second favourite colour." LIttle bear said airily.  "And I like Mansity."

I can't fault his choice of a team that show a wonderful battling spirit, a determination to keep fighting no matter what, and often really elegant football.  All I can do is brace against the inevitable discussions between little bear and darling father about exactly who should have won the match.  Little bear is not known for being moderate when he likes something.  And Liverpool play Manchester City on 26 August. 

I may hide in the kitchen again.

2 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Is there such a thing as 'interesting soccer' ??
to me it's 22 men kicking a bag of wind around a field.
(ducks down behind sofa to avoid flack!!)

Wannabe Sybil said...

I'm publishing this, but taking no responsibility...