Thursday 16 August 2012

Nervous curtain twitching

The kids from two doors down have ripped some branches from the budliea. 

Now I could do a full hissy fit about how dare they, what do they think they are doing, don't they care that things cost money, you try and keep things nice...  However what I am really worried about is their safety.  It has been preying on my mind all day. 

Budliea branches snap, or at least ours does, and they snap really easily.  So when a five year old or eight year old are standing on a wall hanging off the branches, there is a good chance the branch would go and the kids fall with a bang.  The budliea is grown against a concrete wall.  There is a tarmac path on one side with a solid kerb and an unmade road full of stones on one side and a longer drop onto flags and kerb stones on another.  Either side is a reasonable drop.  The best outcome is bruises.  Given the way the kerbs are arranged, it could be really bad. 

I am getting rid of one rose as the thorns are vicious and I can't stop the kids climbing on the wall next to it.  But I can't change the concrete or the kerbs.  Even if we get rid of the budliea, they will still climb on the walls.  One is the same age as little bear. 

I must be the only mum in the country praying for rain so that they don't go out but stay a little safer. 

4 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

Perhaps you could leave the thorny rose in place to deter them ? perhaps even train it further along the wall ?
I'm really pleased to hear of your success with Kindle by the way, keep it up !

Wannabe Sybil said...

Wean - the rose thorns haven't deterred them, they are always squeezing past in and have scratches to prove it. Some of the thorns are really vicious - big and woody. The kids are in a bad place, though, the parents are struggling, it is so sad. I get really worried. Also thank you re Kindle - I am very pleased! WS xxx

Robyn said...

8 years ago, my friends daughter, then aged 10, fell from a rope swing, breaking her arm. "I bet you won't be letting her play on THAT again!" said another Mum at the school gate....I remember my friend's response to this day as it was absolutely perfect - she said "Oh aye, I will, she's learnt now that falling off hurts - she'll hang on tighter the next time!) she did too, and is now a happy 18 year old, just off to Uni, and I'll just bet she takes that "hold on tight" message with her all her life!

Wannabe Sybil said...

Robyn - fingers crossed that it will be alright for them. I don't want little bear to learn too much the hard way (softy mum that I am). I suppose it is the worry of them falling from a height onto concrete kerbs. I hope the angels are looking after them. WS xxx