Tuesday 28 August 2012

Time management

When I actually worked in an office I was quite good at time management - I had to be!  I was often working in legal places, and time and tide wait for no listing clerk. 

Today I am being particularly rubbish about getting things done.  This is not really a post, it is actually an excuse not to be ironing.  And I have committed to making some cushions for OH and myself (and possibly darling father).  This is not necessarily going to end well.  You see, it takes not only time but actually sitting down, starting and finishing the job. 

OH and I both prefer my home made cushions.  I get two largish pieces of sturdy material, sew them more or less together and then stuff them with unravelled jumpers.  Factory made jumpers work best, as there is spring in the wool and because it is finer than hand knit there is lots of space for air to plump up the cushion.  However it still makes a substantial and firm cushion that you just can't get in the shops.  They really are just right for propping up in the corner of the sofa and curling into, though they are absolute murder to wash and it costs less to make again than to get them dry cleaned. 

So to actually achieve the cushions I need to buy some material, as I actually got rid of a lot of the sturdy material needed for the best result.  I need to find some sweaters to unravel (I got rid of all the old sweaters as well).  I need to sew the dratted material together, which takes less time than you think by hand.  By hand is usually the quicker option for me as I am scared of my sewing machine and it takes me forever to set it up.  Then I have the task of unravelling the sweaters.  I actually quite enjoy this bit, but there is always dust and fluff everywhere.  Then finally finishing off by sewing up the gap.  And it isn't actually the doing of the stuff that takes time, but the actual setting aside of the time to do it. 

I suppose I could do stuff like piping and cords and tassels.  I'm not going to though.  Nor am I going to do fancy applique or embroidery.  These cushions will be seeing some serious use, and need to be substantial and durable.  We won't be looking at them, we will be sitting blissfully against them.  Eventually.

No comments: